PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: exporter plugin for ogre
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:34 pm 
Hello,
I think an exporter for ogre3d would be really usefull to the ogre community.
You can find some infos around http://www.ogre3d.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:41 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Hi,

yes I took a (short) look at OGRE export possibilites 2 months ago. But haven't found the time to implement anything yet.

It's unfortunately not done within a couple of minutes, especially if you are not familiar with OGRE at all. So It would be really helpfull if I could get some help from someone with knowledge how to best render terrains in OGRE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:42 pm 
I thnk, regarding the size of the terrains that pnptc can output, that the best way to load the terrain in the game should be the paging landscape manager, you can find some doc around here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Pa ... ne_Manager
for object placement, the format of maps is the dotscene, a sort of xml file
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/DotScene
Honestly I'm only a modeler with only basic programming knowledge, but the ogre wiki is filled of usefull tutorials and samples

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:06 pm 
Programmierdochfix

OK, thanks for the links. I will try to implement something for OGRE as soon as possible. But it would be very helpful for me If I could get some support from one who is already using OGRE. At least someone who can test the Exporter-PlugIn and tell me where the problems are.

Communities are often a bit reserved if you ask for support as a "stranger" (I already tried), and are in the best case pointing at the manual. Do you think you can make some contacts for me? Or maybe you can support me in that way on your own?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:25 pm 

yes, I can do both, I sent some PM on ogre forums a few minutes ago, and I created an account to be more easy to reach on this one. I can run some tests exports too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:33 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Very good, thank you.

I will get back to you as soon, as I can start with it. Lets say in approximately 2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:48 pm 
Programmierdochfix

With version 1.1.8 a first OGRE exporter is available. It exports into an ogre xml mesh. I'll add an "paging scene manager" compatible export with the next release.

Post subject: I might be able to help
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:42 am 

Although, I do not have too much experience building models, or even terrains, I do have experience in C++, C#, Java, PHP, Javascript, HTML, XHTML, XML, and the like. So, I think it may be possible to get something rolling if we work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:16 am 
Programmierdochfix

Hey, that sounds great. at the moment we have a mesh exporter for OGRE which works quite well. And tlowe is working on a scene exporter for OGRE using our template exporter (http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=204). I hope, we can use it when it is finished :)

But there is surely enough left to work on. For example using OGRE meshes as static objects and trees.

I'm in on a conference in Rio the next week. Lets talk about this when I'm back home and have a free mind again.

Post subject: Confirmation
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:35 am 

Ok, so basically, you want to be able to contruct meshes in OGRE to be applied on the PnP terrain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:23 am 
Programmierdochfix

yes, that would be nice. I think it will be possible to use only parts of the OGRE engine to load meshes and put them into a DirectX structure, which can be rendered from our already existing object/vegetation manager plugins.

Post subject: OGRE SceneManager
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 am 

You mentioned the meshes coming from OGRE as mesh.xml. Does this suggest that the data used in an OGRE mesh is structured in XML? If this is the case, we should be able to design an XML parser to break up the nodes into their respective parts to be used within PnP.

So is this scenario we're aiming for:

To load OGRE meshes onto the the terrain, as loaded within the scene manager?

-or-

To contruct the mesh files using OGRE, and then use the import tool to allow the incorporation of thoses meshes into the PnP?

From everything said, it sounds to me like the first part can already be done somewhat, and the second part is primarily what the goal seems to be. If this is the case, I will continue to work with the OGRE meshes to try and become familiar with how they are contructed and stored (in files and memory). I will then use that information to collaborate on the plugin to develop. Does this sound like a plan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:55 am 
Programmierdochfix

OGRE has its own mesh format. These mesh files can be stored in binare (.mesh) and in xml formated (.mesh.xml) form. There are of course loading routines inside the OGRE code, so I would use them and not code them again on our own.

Just trying to make it clear: Currently you can copy mesh files (.obj and .x) into the OBJECTS subdirectory of the PnP terrain project directory. These objects can afterwards be placed on the terrain as static objects (like houses for example). What I'd like to add would be the possibility to place OGRE mesh files into the terrain project's object directory and then use those files for static objects on the terrain too.

So the plugin should be improved by the following features
1. List those OGRE mesh files (simple text comparison of the file endings)
2. Load them and store the data in a DX compatible data structure
3. Render them in a DX environment

Post subject: Comment
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 am 

So by improve, you mean, adding to the existing object import plugin? You wish to add those three features basically, to the existing plugin, correct?

I see too plugins, that might be related:

PnPTCCSFileObjectsPlugIn.dll
PnPTCObjectsPlugIn.dll

Are either of these what you speak of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:00 am 
Programmierdochfix

Yes. PnPTCObjectsPlugIn.dll would be the one. The other is especially for CrystalSpace. If it is not easily possible to add the OGRE libraries to the existing plugin, one could of course create a new one like PnPTCOgreObjectsPlugIn.dll.