PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Material files with same image order
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:24 pm 

This is a minor request, but it would be nice if the material 'scripts' used the same order of images while exporting alpha maps.
I am currently trying to load all *_000.xml files in a directory and generate a list of alphamaps from that, but the order is not always the same.
I know I could just use std::sort (or similar) to make sure the entries are sorted equally, but it would save me from either doing that or manually editing the files.
I already have some logic in code where I insert a blank alpha for pages with less than max textures (because my terrain engine requires an equal amount of texture layers, and some pages uses only one or two textures, instead of three).
So, and option to generate blank alpha-image entries would also be appreciated. :)

A minor issue, though. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Material files with same image order
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 pm 
Programmierdochfix

I added a sort to the alphamap exporter. Will provide a new download as soon as I finshed the things you mentioned in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=896

For the blank alpha pages thing: this was already available; there is an option "no blank files". Simply make sure, that this option is not activated. Unfortunately this was somehow not always working correctly with the last version of the alphamap exporter. Will also be corrected with the upcoming download. However, this only works this way for the textures on one sector; if you have more than one sector, the number of textures might be different.

And just as a note: I'd suggest to allow for variable number of textures, as you can speed up rendering (decrease the number of render passes) in areas with less textures. As usually on a terrain there are areas with different properties (snow on mountains, grass land, desert) it would be a waste of resources, to render the desert textures (all completely transparent) in the mountain area.