PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: World Rough out editing
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 am 

Imagine this if you will....

The user has just created a new "world", he sits at his puter looking at the 6x6 sector world that he has on screen...and then roughs out with a "brush" the entire world/landmass, painting across the sector lines and fleshing out the entire game world in just a few mins.

The ability to use basic sculpting tools across all the sectors of a world would be very handy to get an entire world quickly designed and planed out. The user could then open each sector later to refine and tweak and texture etc.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:22 am 

http://www.heroengine.com/world.asp

look a first video, is a midleware, and in a map editor you modelise map very speed. Is really impressive. But, 600.000$ lol xD

PS: for info, blizzard have buy this midlware and code source for 1 million $, for a next gen blizzard game. World of warcraft 2 ? World of Starcraft ? hummhumm

PS: in pnptc entreprise edition there is a multi user mod ? (such as the video)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am 

We have an eval version of the Hero engine here at work...so yeah I'm very aware of it :)

And yes it's a very powerful tool and engine. Can actually get a single license for $45,000...but that's still STUPID money..even for me :)

The enterprise edition of PnP I think allows for a zone/world to be edited from server source and for artists to work on different sectors at the same time. Hero allows users to work on the same sector at the same time in realtime...it's quite freaky :)

I'm loving the direction PnP is going and the new tools etc going in there...my wish to edit/roughout in 2d an entire world would save a huge amount design time,

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:25 am 
Programmierdochfix

well, besides the heightmap editing capabilities in the overview map you can now use the filters on the whole terrain in 2d too, which should help editing the entire map. Have you tried?

The enterprise edition is working the way as Kaylon said. But realtime multi user editing seems to be funny :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:52 pm 

none of the tools seam to do anything in the overview...

I'm trying to rough out my world on this screen...

But no tool has an effect that I can see.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:10 pm 

double clik in one sector and is here you can use all filter en 2D mode. But Personally I do not work in 2D mode, I need to have a maximum precision for my maps.

Quote:
I'm loving the direction PnP is going and the new tools etc going in there...my wish to edit/roughout in 2d an entire world would save a huge amount design time,

Yea pnptc is a very good soft, i'm loving too orientation come pnptc. Small MAJ, but speed MAj, is a very good decition, allows its has all the communauter avia are given on improving the software I found.

And for heroes multi user in one sector, is VERY VERY impressive.
a chance to see her one day pnptc? or I dream? : p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm 

The point is that I don't want to double click and work on one section...I would like to work on all sections at the same time...so I can rough out my land mass of the entire world...then go in and work in the details on a section by section selection as normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:02 am 

hoo ok, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:45 am 
Programmierdochfix

Well you can use the same tools in 2D overview map as in 2D detail map.

In heightmap editing mode you can either use the cursor keys to raise/lower the terrain or select one of the small rais/lower/level icons at the bottom right of the viewport to select an interaction mode for mouse editing. For filter edit mode, you too have to first activate the mouse filtering in 2D overview map.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:07 am 

Ahh okay I kinda see that working ish...however it's not very user friendly and I keep getting a message up about A detailed heightmap exists...do you want to continue etc..

All i wanna do is use my tablet/mouse and paint onto all the sections at once...the curser key thing is not a very good solution for this as it does not give the amount of control needed even for the roughest of roughouts :)

Is there any chance of simply letting the tools that work on a sector scale work on a global scale ?...in 2D

EDIT: I'm kinda getting used to the cursor keys...this will probably do the trick as is... forget my request :) I shall work with what we have :) ... thanks Ralf.

Would be nice to be pressure sensitive, but the cursors will work :)

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 am 
Programmierdochfix

Pressure sensitivity and mouse editing will also work (both are new with features with the current beta). But you have to activate it first by selecting one of those icons.

The first one is for raising the terrain with the mouse/pen
The second is for lowering it
The third one is for leveling the terrain.

And the message about existing detail sectors: If you already have opened a sector in detail view, a high resolution heightmap of that sector is created. So if you edit in the low resolution overview map, this detail map has to be adapted. And for performance reasons, this is quite difficult to achieve from the overview map, thats why it will be deleted. In order to ensure, you don't accidentally delete this detail map, the program asks you before doing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:35 am 

Excellent.. working well...just ignore me from now on :)

Thanks Ralf :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]