PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cave tool
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:19 pm 

I downloaded the free version of pnp terraincreator and like it. But I already have several terrain editors. I WOULD by this if there was a way to make a cave. IS there a way to fix it so that we could delete segments of the terrain?

Thanks!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:40 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Hi and welcome Gordon,

with release 1.1.10 there will be a possibility to remove quads from the terrain surface, as entries for caves or bunkers or something http://www.pnp-terraincreator.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225. Unfortunately, the release is overdue, I hope I'll find the time over christmas to finish it.

If you want to model the whole cave within TC, not just the entry, I'll have to disappoint you. That's surely not a feature which we will see within TC for quite a while.

Ralf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:06 pm 

Most users don't have an idea of how to get tunnels and caves into their mountains. The easiest way is putting an static entrance object onto the rock and split your games world into interior and exterior geometry connected by cutscenes. Morrowind and Oblivion are good examples for this method. However, there are advantages and disadvantages. On the pro is the handling with ease, on the contra is the lack of realistic atmo. Best example is a window. I can't see the snow falling, I don't know about day or night and I can't see activities on the streets. If I could looking trough the window, I could see the footpad who is lurking outside the door. The RPG Gothic is a representative for this.

Now, I'll present a method, currently not able within TerrainCreator but eventually utilizable in a future release.

Simple example 1
A 32x32 landscape reproducible in TerrainCreator. Stalagmites and stalactites are static objects shown in red.

Simple example 2
The flat tris shown in red are the halfheight marks of the cave walls.
Each halfheigth sector is based on a 8bit grayscale highmap.

Simple example 3
A second flipped landscape with the same halfheight contours should be placed onto the base landscape.

Simple example 4
The inner tris marked in red.

Simple example 5
The two landscapes put together.

Simple example 6
A closer look.

Simple example 7
Finally, a smooth closer look without wireframe.

This method also allows rising and falling tunnel systems if multiple grayscale maps have been layered like a snap box system (0 to 255 ground, above 0 to 255 ceiling, adjacent block shifted up/down by 255). See Landscape sideview diagram
The grayscale highmap could be equivalent to meters (255 = 2.55m)

Main terrain example with cave entrance:
Terrain with cave entrance
Tunnel from mountain inside
Tunnel side view

Post subject: holes in terrains for caves
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:04 pm 

Making a hole per manual page 11 section 3.1.3.1 will work for any export format? We can create the cave itself in any modeler but being able to cut holes in the terrain and have it export without problems will make seamless caves a nice reality!

So this is what this hole in page 11 section 3.1.3.1 was intended for? Caves?

I have never seen a terrain creator that can permit holes in the terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:05 pm 

Hoo :shock:

You want modelize a cave in a terrain editor ? But cave is not modelize in 3D software ? 3ds, maya, xsi, etc

Personaly i'm modéliser a cave in blender, after i'm importe this cave in pnptc for Static Objetc, i'm delette a polygone in map with X tuch (if I remember well) and i'm spawn cave.

If this can help, I can modelize some cave to what is available on the site pnptc, if ralf is ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:41 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Yes, these holes are exportable. Unfortunately heightmap export formats don't support them very well, so all you can do is set the height to zero. But often this is sufficient, if a cave or bunker or whatever geometry is spawned at that place.

The mesh export formats fully support that holes.

The intention for that feature was the possibility to open the terrain as entrance for caves and things like that, right.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]