PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Raise/lower filter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:06 pm 

I have experimented with the raise/lower filter a bit. It would seem that it needs a filter mask size like the averaging filter. Also, it would be good to set the sensitivity of the mouse somewhere, if only in a preferences file. I realize that the calculations take time and sometimes it seems the terrain changes smoothly (in time) and sometime the terrain suddenly jumps up higher than desired. However, this may be a lack of experience on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:58 pm 

Not to be rude Game...sorry my friend...but do you EVER just use a tool in a bit of software and are happy with it...or do you simple always want to change everything... I bet if you Ordered a Peach Ice Cream you would then wish it was Strawberry once you got it ... :)

You can set a lot a variables..do you actually use all the possibly imput options before making a comments? as a lot of the time it comes across as you have selected the base tool....clicked a few times and then you complain..sorry...make "suggestions" :)...The "sensativity" is the raise amount in CM's..this is the amount you raise per click as it were the lower the number the more subtle the result...Rasie/drop is the main tool you use for the creation of terrain in the 3d view and is actually very flexible when use in conjuction with the full tool set. It also works very well with a pressure sensative tablet. You can use the tool with the "average" turned on for smooth softer transitions or you can turn it off to make sharper steep hills and cliffs...then you cna use the average tool in the tools set with a low tolorance to get rid of any tearing.

The proper way to use the raise/drop tools and other tools in this set are almost like painting....very different from ther first set of tools and actually much better...it is this set of tools that you should really use to make very detailed terrains...if you hold your mouse down while moving the mouse you can "paint" terrian...

Anyway....hope your eventually happy :)

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:34 pm 

I am not at all unhappy, thanks. And no offense taken (I would have ordered the strawberry in the first place). I do hope that when I use a tool from any application, it works as I would expect it to, without having to do a lot of setup, or spending a lot of time figuring out how "to make it work". Perhaps some of this comes from spending over 30 years developing software for user interfaces for people who had this point-of-view.

I understand the delta height setting and the range. What I was refering to was the number of terrain changes made per unit movement of the mouse if it is done by change in mouse position, or the changes made per unit of time if it is being done "while the mouse is moving". The effect is not pronounced with small height change settings, but to raise the surface a long way takes a long time, and with a large height change setting the surface sometimes can "jump" up much more than desired.

Part of the problem here is that needing a fairly definate terrain shape and not yet being able to load a heightmap for the entire scene, I have been attempting to see if it would work to create "gross" terrain by using the tools that are for detailing. Even so, I think having a mask size would be usefull for the raise/lower as I would think that the raising /lowering would blend more with the surrounding area if desired.

I always assume that there are reasons that something has not, or will not be done, or that my suggestions may simply be discarded; and that it OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:29 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Well, there are surely a lot of things which have some potential for improvements within TC. Some of your suggestions Game would really be a benefit for the program.

At the moment I'm busy enough keeping up with the most important improvements of the program and I cannot react in short term on your wishes. So, I'd suggest the following: Take some time to take a look at all the possibilities of TC and learn how to use them correctly. And if then there are still things which can't be solved in a satisfying way I'd be very happy about a wishlist in a single thread.

For this particular raise/drop wish, you could have a look at the PlugIn SDK. The source code of this filter is included in the SDK. After 30 years of software developing experience it shouldn't be a problem for you to adapt that plugin to your needs.

I'm closing this thread not because I'm ignoring the comment but just to avoid anything from getting out of hands here.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]