PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Squash mode
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:14 pm 

When modifying the height, one uses the tool to extrude a portion of the terrain upward. If one then move the mouse the other way, the terrain is "negatively extruded" creating a depressed area. What is needed is a mode that when when you move the mouse "down", the terrain is "squashed". That is, that the amount of the extrusion is reduced so that if you pulled up a hill more than you wanted, then it would be pushed back down as if you had not pulled it so far up. I hope this make sense.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:30 am 

You can use the "average" tool for that....it will do what your discribing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:16 pm 
Programmierdochfix

no, what game means is a bit different. If you start with a flat terrain and raise a little hill somewhere lets say for about 10 meters of height. And while you are raising this hill you think, 8 meters would look better, so you move your mouse down again. But what you will get is not a hill of 8 meters but a hill of 10 meters with a crater of 2 meters in it.

What you whish game, is really a good idea, but not so easy to implement. Because every mouse movement generates an atomic/enclosed change to the terrain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:13 pm 

I would think that this would be an important feature. Currently you start with the segments at the edge of the tool area, raising the near ones and iterating out as needed to satisfy the constraints. Would not one start at the worksspace boundary, lowering the far segmenst and working inward and upward as necessary, like the "inverse" algorithm. I am not saying its trivial.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:54 pm 
Programmierdochfix

I agree, that it would be nice to have. But it would require a lot of changes to the program's internas. But I'll take a look at it, when I find the time.