PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Auto-texture selected terrain section.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:53 am 

The auto-texturing features are very very nice. What would be awesome if a selected portion of the working section could be selected and auto-textured using a different set of rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:13 am 
Graphicanissimus

Hi Alan. :D
I do like that idea, after the upcoming version we would like to focus the development to new modeling and selection tools.. perhaps there will be some sorta thing like you've mentioned in the future. I'll keep this in mind, thank you. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:25 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Hi,
I was already thinking to implement something like different "texture sets" for a terrain. So you can have the same terrain for winter and summer with different textures (for example). This should of course also apply for the texturing rules.

What do you think about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:30 am 

Sounds great, along those lines there are textures that you would want to overlay over existing ones without linear/bi-linear/etc blending. For example if you want to overlay a "growing" vine texture on the ground where you want to disable linear blending for that texture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:37 pm 
Programmierdochfix

I'm not sure if I understand correctly. Do you have some example screenshots/images of this for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:44 pm 

Sure, here is an example photo I just googled off the web from a Guild Wars screen shot.

http://www.guildwars.cz/download/czl-ghfoto9.jpg

Notice in the background how the vine texture is layered on top of the existing textures without any blending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:49 pm 
Programmierdochfix

OK, I understand. Technically it is not a big thing to render such texture effects. It is simply a subsequent rendering pass with the overlay texture (single pass rendering might be possible as well).

But implementing it will have two difficulties:
1. This would require some layer techniques as for example painting programs like photoshop have it. This is completely new to the user interface of the TC, and so not easy to add in short time.
2. It is difficult enough to export the terrains and texturing with one texture layer for all those different game engines. Most of those freely available game engines will not be able to support those techniques with the build in terrain rendering methods.

I talked with Tim and Hauke about multilayered texturing almost two years ago. We decided not to implement it, because it would require a lot of user experience to apply it and most users will not be able to use these techniques in their final game engine.
Maybe we can add such things in the future, but not in short term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:47 pm 

Thanks again Ralf. No biggie, I can work around that by devising of list of textures that need to be laid on in later passes, parsing the xml outputs from TC and flagging where needed... and revise the texture engine I'm using to get it working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:58 am 

Just want to also make note that the engine I'm working with is the Nebula Device 2 / Mangalore application framework.