PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How do you guys make those awesome mountains?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:14 pm 

To start out, I really enjoy PNP Team Creator so far. I'm digging in, trying to create the terrain that I have pictured in my head. I've gotten a lot of the basics down, but I can't seem to get the grasp on how you guys are making those awesome mountains that you have pictured in the forum. I've also looked at the two Demo terrains, and I can't seem to place how to get started on the mountain ranges. I am ending up with a bunch of circles, instead of a nice row of mountains. I know to hold L and drag the mouse, but that I know there is much more to it than that. I'm also aware that it will take a LOT of time to get all of the nice ridges worked in, but does anyone have any tips to creating mountains for a beginner? Thanks for your help, and keep up the great work!

Post subject: Re: How do you guys make those awesome mountains?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:55 pm 

try using Bryce & importing the heightmaps into PNP. Google for it, there should be a freeware version around on the net.

cheers
B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:01 pm 

Bryce is pretty good, I gave it a shot too. My last attempt seemed to do a pretty good job at this though. I let PNP generate the terrain for me, then I flattened everything out that needed flattening. So far, I'm doing a pretty good job at making some of the mountains higher and more realistic. It's all in practice I take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:40 am 
Programmierdochfix

Tim has a lot of experiences creating those terrains, maybe he has some tipps for you. Unfortunately he hasn't been around the last days. I'll point him to this thread as soon as I see him online again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:15 pm 
Graphicanissimus

Hi Nucklez, well first of all i would like to say that it could take some time to create perfect mountains.
For shaping those formations i take heavy usage of the raise/drop filter (in combination with other filters bust mostly the raise/drop filter).
You need to increase the value and add some noise to it.
The rest of it is pretty simple, just move the mouse over and over again over the same spot until you're satisfied with this part of the map and than continue.