PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: texturemap and lightmap don't export 2 side border pixels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:58 pm 

I exported heightmap, normalmap, lightmap and texturemap with bmp format, patch size 64 and 2 side border pixels.

heightmap, normalmap is 65x65
but texturemap, lightmap is 64x64. Is this a bug? I suppose they should be 65x65 too.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: texturemap and lightmap don't export 2 side border pixels
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:01 pm 
Programmierdochfix

maybe the power-of-two checkbox was checked?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:29 pm 

No. Actually I tried both power of two checked and unchecked.

And I think power of two options should not relate to 2/4 side border pixels.

Because a week ago, I tried to export lightmap without power of two. It exported to a 1008x1008 image. I had to use power of two to make it exported to a 1024x1024 image.

Then I can use 2 side border pixels option to get a 1025x1025 image.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:52 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Actually, the texture maps are stored internally using two sided border pixels. But also they are stored with a size of the power of two. So this results in a 64x64 texture for your setting. So from this point the export is correct. Maybe you should use the power-of-two option for the other export files, too, if you need all of them in the same size.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:34 am 

The following paragraph is got from your manual. I need 65x65 because the 65th point is the 1st point of next sector. With it I can draw a smooth terrain. Without it the first sector is divided with next sector by a point. Of course, we can read the 1st point from next sector when we draw the first sector. But to implement it in the map creator makes more sense.

and 65x65 is also one important option for me to implement my LOD. I need the size to be 2^n+1. Thanks

"If a terrain is divided into separate lightmaps for each sector or for smaller patch sizes and two neighboring maps are to be rendered, it is important to avoid visible edges between two maps. To avoid these edges the textures have to be sampled over their borders into the neighboring patch or sector. To solve this problem it is a common technique to add the first pixels of every column and row of the neighboring textures to the texture and set the uv coordinates half a pixel from the texture border into the texture's center. With the <Border pixel> option you can specify that the texture should be prepared for this technique. Select “2 side border pixels” in order to add the first pixels of the next maps to the texture; select “4 side border pixels” in order to additionally add the last pixels of the previous maps to the texture."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 am 
Programmierdochfix

I'm not sure what exactly do you need? Isn't the combination of "two-sided border pixels" (for texture, light, and normal maps) and "size+1" (for heightmap) exactly what you need? Even if the texture and light maps don't have the same border sizes as the heightmap, they infact include the first neighbouring pixel.