PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Nice software, directX question
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:48 am 

The software in incredible, I search for weeks for such a "chef d'oeuvre" Bravo.

Question about the .x exporter. It created me 63.x files. I only need one. Only 1 can work for my game engine (3D Rad). Any idea how I can put it all into 1? If this can't be fixed :( not good for game makers.

[EDIT] I have another software: T.Ed it can import heightmap colormap etc.. but when I import raw it ask

- R32 export size x value
- R32 export size y value
- Height multiplier (R32 value 0.0-1.0)
- Height offset multiplier

I enter default but nothing show up.

Thanks alot :mrgreen:

Last edited by asterix on Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Nice software, directX question
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:24 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Welcome,

in the exporter you can set the "patch size" to the size of your sector (1024). This will produce one single file per sector.

I cannot help you with the correct settings for T.Ed.
export size x/y might be the size of the terrain in x and y direction (so probably both 1024)
height multiplier depends on the data format to be imported. Try with 1.
height offset is usually zero.

Ralf

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:09 pm 

Ralf wrote:
Welcome,

in the exporter you can set the "patch size" to the size of your sector (1024). This will produce one single file per sector.

I cannot help you with the correct settings for T.Ed.
export size x/y might be the size of the terrain in x and y direction (so probably both 1024)
height multiplier depends on the data format to be imported. Try with 1.
height offset is usually zero.

Ralf

Thankt that seem to work, what a big terrain/file, I will read the manual, maybe I will get a way to make smaller map.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:21 pm 
Programmierdochfix

You can reduce the vertex count during export. Thats described in the manual.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm 

Vertex reduction p.75 :D

can I see the polygon count somewhere?

About the vegetation. Can I use it in PNP, and if I export the map to my game engine and sell it, do I have to buy their vegetation pack? What about the skybox, textures? Sound?

"
All the trees and grasses in this package have been created with Aliencodec's TreemagikG3 and Aliencodec's PlantLife Software (http://www.aliencodec.com)

You are free to use these vegetation files within PnP TerrainCreator for your own terrain projects.

You are NOT allowed to redistribute these files in any way without purchasing TreemagikG3 and/or PlantLife from aliencodec.
By installing the vegetation package you agree with these restrictions."

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:11 am 
Programmierdochfix

asterix wrote:
Vertex reduction p.75 :D

can I see the polygon count somewhere?

Well, no. For regular vertex reduction, the vertex count can be computed easily as follows: given a sector of the size 1024x1024, you have 1048576 vertices. If you set a vertex reduction factor (grid size) of 2, it results in a grid of 512x512=262144 vertices, for a factor of 4 in 256x256=65536 vertices, and so on.
If you use height deviation as vertex reduction method, the resulting amount of vertices is not known beforehand.

asterix wrote:

About the vegetation. Can I use it in PNP, and if I export the map to my game engine and sell it, do I have to buy their vegetation pack? What about the skybox, textures? Sound?

Trees and grasses have been created with the Treemagik and Plantlife software from Aliencodec. I have a commercial license for this software, so I can use it in my products. However, I'm of course not allowed to put a free lib of those trees on the web. I had allowance from Aliencodec to put a few of them as examples on the web. So if you want to redistribute them in you own software or game, you'll have to buy a license, which is quite affordable.

The sound files in the download have been created by a friend of mine. They can be used freely in any way you want.

With the textures I have a problem, which I'll have to address in the future. Some of them are made by Tim, some of them have been taken from free libraries. Unfortunately, some of these libs are no longer online. I'd suggest not to redistribute them. There are a couple of free or quite affordable texture libraries out there. If you plan to develop a commercial software, I'd suggest buying one of them. I'm going to put some links in the wiki at http://wiki.pnp-terraincreator.com/doku ... :resources

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the info and for the sound. I might get those plants they are nice. Textures are expensives and hard to find. I think I will start doing mines.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]