PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Best quality settings for Game Studio Extra Edition?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:36 am 

Hi,
I'm new here. I purchased PnP Std just yesterday and wonder now what the settings for the best export-quality are. Regarding to my version of Game Studio - the Extra Edition - which is the one for personal (private) use (and therefore the cheapest) you have to keep in mind that shaders aren't useable, so I guess "splatted textures" are therefore out of the game. So I think "texturemap" are the only way to do. Ok, having said this once again the question: What PnP-settings - and that includes terrainsize, texturesize, spansize, ..., so, really all - are *the* settings or at least *the ones to deal with* to get the best outcome in Game Studio when you need fancy details for a walking-on-the-terrain-game?

Thx in advance!

chrisu

Post subject: Re: Best quality settings for Game Studio Extra Edition?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:21 am 
Programmierdochfix

Hello and welcome chrisu,

I don't know about the limitations of the Game Studio Editions. But if shaders are not supported with your version, splatting textures are surely out of range, so you have to go with texture mapped terrains.

The settings for all those parameters can not be answered in general. It depends on so many factors. The first thing to figure out is the desired size of your terrain. Lets say you want for example a terrain of a size of approximately 2x2 km. Next you have to determine the amount of data you can handle on the target platform. So I'd start with a terrain of 2x2 sectors with 1024x1024 elements each and a resolution (detail element size) of 1 meter. Export it and load it into 3dgs and see if it works. If not, you have to reduce the resolution. Using sectors of 512x512 elements and a resolution of 2 meters. And so forth. Of course you'll lose detail quality with every reduction step. So it depends on the desired target platform and quality demands.

If terrain size and quality is fixed, you can go on to the texturing part. Basically there is one limiting factor: textures should not be larger than 4096x4096. So, if you are going to span a whole texture over a terrain of 2048x2048 heightmap elements, you will have a poor texture resolution of 2 texels per meter. To overcome this, you have to page you terrain. For example into 4x4 chunks of the size of 512x512. This way you can have a resolution of 8 texels, which is a lot better.

I hope I could help a litte. Recently I had contact to a 3dgs user who made a cool video tutorial for PnPTC. Seems as if he has some good knowledge about bringing TC terrains into 3dgs. Unfortunately I'm out of office until 22th of march and have no access to the mails I got from him. I can surely establish the contact between you two, as soon as I'm back again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:00 pm 

Thx for the reply. I think I now managed to become familiar with the parameters.
Btw.: The flag in the Terrain-Exporter for Game Studio for "global positioning" just don't change the positions - at least when export a multisectored terrain with that flag set and I then load it in the world-editor of Game Studio all of the sectors are on the same position (centered) ... strange!?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:17 pm 
Programmierdochfix

This actually seems to be a bug in the gamestudio WED editor. Inside the editor all terrain patches are placed on top of each other. But if you build the scene and watch it in the actual game engine, they are placed correctly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:44 am 

Interesting - I have to check that out :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:41 pm 
Programmierdochfix

I added a link to the website of the user I was writing about in our wiki at http://wiki.pnp-terraincreator.com/doku.php?id=resources:3dgs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:03 pm 

@ralf: Would you mind to handle that incident with the gamestudio-support by yourself because I would just be some kind of middleware in this communication-flow not knowing anything 'bout the internals of both parties?

Cheers,
chrisu.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:30 pm 

?any news?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 pm 

chrisu wrote:
@ralf: Would you mind to handle that incident with the gamestudio-support by yourself because I would just be some kind of middleware in this communication-flow not knowing anything 'bout the internals of both parties?

A simple NO would have been nice - no need for ignoring me for months just because I asked you to do me/us a favor. :(

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:36 pm 
Programmierdochfix

You are absolutely right, and my apologies for this.

And no, unfortunately there are no news regarding this issue. As I said. It is out of my range. If you want to have the terrain patches aligned correclty in WED as well as in the engine, you have to uncheck global positioning and instead locate them manually. I informed the developers of GameStudio about this end of last year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:22 am 

Thx for the note!