PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Exported Sector Edge Problem
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm 

Love PnP - best landscape editor I've found so far...just one odd issue:

I'm exporting a Terrain out of PnP sector by sector using BMP greyscale heightmap and importing them into existing landscape grids using GameCore. The process works very well but I am running into an odd problem which I can only describe as "puckering" along the seams. Although the height seems to match up well I'm getting varied highlight/shadow regions aligned right next to one another. Here are a couple of images to help explain:

http://www.erdax.com/publiclink/seam_w_texture.jpg
http://www.erdax.com/publiclink/seam_wout_texture.jpg

The images are the exact same view; one with texture shown and the other wireframe. I am very puzzled as to what might be causing this. I am exporting with +1 to match the edges and have the problem with all edited sectors, which is to say I don't have the issue if I just export a flat plain. However, if I edit only the center but not the edge (i.e. the edges remain flat) the puckering occurs again.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,
Charles

Post subject: Re: Exported Sector Edge Problem
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:55 am 
Programmierdochfix

Welcome Charles, and thank you.

Well this is a problem with the normals computed by the game engine. If the game engine doesn't know about the connectedness of neighbouring maps, it is not able to compute a smooth normal transition between two maps. Maybe there is also a small bug somewhere in the engines computation of normal as the artefacts seem to me to being kind of amplified. However, is there a possibility to import normal maps into the engine? you could export them from PnP; that should solve this issue.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 pm 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll work with the normals and see what can be done.

-Charles

Post subject: Re: Exported Sector Edge Problem - SOLVED -
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:36 pm 

Posting a solution for anyone else that has similar issues:

As suggested by Ralf, the uneven shading on the edges was a result of the engine not understanding the transition from one landscape object (sector) to another. The fix was to create a normal map alongside the heightmap. I brought my original overall heightmap into PnP Terrain Creator and exported sector by sector using a 1024 patch size. I also exported normal maps with a matching patch size and a color combination of RGB = YZX, 4 side border pixels and power of 2 checked. After importing both the heightmap and normal map into GameCore I had to balance the terrain diffusion and luminosity to make the ground look right (the settings that worked for me were .5 diffusion and .6 luminosity). I've uploaded my test landscape as viewed in GameCore; 9 1024x1024 sectors (3x3 grid):

http://www.erdax.com/publiclink/no_seam_test.jpg

Thanks again Ralf for your help - you pointed me in the right direction!

-Charles

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:49 am 
Programmierdochfix

I'm pleased to hear that it works this way. And thank's for your feedback about exporting to GameCore. Just a few side notes. As you have to combine multiple exporters in order to export to GameCore, you can try to use the template based exporter, which can do this in one step for you. With the next release of PnP there will also be a new scene exporter similar to the template based exporter with a user interface and more elaborated setting possibilities.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]