PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: General Tips for getting started
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:59 am 
Programmierdochfix

As we don't yet have a tutorial for PnPTC (we will add on later) I would like to give some tips in order to minimize frustration and maximize the visual result of your first terrains.

2D maps for a 3D terrain?

When you start PnPTC and create your first terrain you will see a 2D map with all sectors of your terrain. The intention for implementing this edit mode was the following: This low resolution definition map allows you to define the gross shape of your terrain very efficiently.
Unfortunately it needs some experience to imagine how the 2D definitions will look in 3D. So we suggest you to first do some experiments with this edit mode on a 1x1 sector terrain. Create some hills or canyons in the definition map, then open the detail map and view the results in 3D.
Please be careful creating large hills/canyons with very small gradients. First they will look very unnatural. But second - what is the greatest problem - navigation in 3D on them will be very hard. So please do some experiments with different gradient values to get a feeling of their results in 3D.
  • Generally speaking: The higher you want to raise a mountain (or drop a canyon) the greater the gradient should be in order to achieve good looking result.
  • If you want to create a long drawn hill/mountain, you should do this stepwise. Create a plateau first using a steep gradient and the leveling function (L key). Afterwards create a second plateau on the first one and so on.

How to efficiently use the definition map
  • As mentioned before the intention of the definition map ?s to define the terrain's shape very roughly. First you can set the base height of every single sector using the level function of the sector's context menu. But be careful. Two neighboring sectors should not vary too much in this base height.
  • Next you should create some hills and canyons using the cursor (up and down) keys considering the remarks mentioned before.
  • Complete the definition by defining ridges, great canyons and other plateaus by using the leveling function with the keyboard's L key.

How to use the sector's 2D detail map

Finally you will have to model the terrain details for every single sector. The 2D detail map of one sector can be edited in the same way as it has been mentioned before for the definition map.
  • The design remarks given for the definition map apply as well to the detail map.
  • You should try to avoid the creation of large hills/canyons in the detail map.
  • Focus on the modeling of terrain details (small plateaus and hills). The reduced raise/drop value for one single keystroke of the cursor up/down key accommodates to this purpose.

Remarks and additions to these tips are very welcome. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 pm 

This says that one should create the general terrain using the definition map. However, I don't see anyway to do that??? And if I have a 3x3 sector map, it is small and located in the lower left corner. Is there a way to zoom it? And if I had more sectors, is there a way to both zoom it and scroll it? Or, do I have it wrong that one is to be able to create an overall terrain using the definition map display????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:04 pm 

You "paint" on these 2d sectors using your mouse and Holding down either the up or down cursor arrows...this process allows you to make the terrain higher or lower....

However I usually just doble click on the sector I want which will enlarge it to allow for more detailed 2d painting but I usually head right to the 3d edit...if you model your terrain the edges will match up as you go...it's very clever...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:28 pm 

Yeh, I see. But it seems to be slow to paint, too broad a brush, and I would stll ask if there is a way to zoom and pan the view?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:24 am 

double click the small one to get the large one of that sector... brush controls are over on the right of the UI, size..angle of slope...it's all there GameW :) ...most of the time you do your terrain construction in the 3d view...big brush work to start with and then detail....

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:28 am 
Programmierdochfix

There is currently no possibility to zoom the overview map. But I already thought about adding it sooner or later.