PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Object/Vegitation export
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:28 pm 

I'm beginning to work on an exporter for objects/trees and have a few questsions. For a given sector, will the order of the returned tree placements always be the same? In other words each time I call GetTreePlacement(0), will I get the same tree placement (assuming the tree placement has not been removed since making the call last time). The reason I am asking is because my object data file needs to contain an incrementing ID for each object. I can't use the GUID. So I'm trying to determine if I have to maintain a cross reference between the tree placement GUID and my ID or if I can always count on the order of the export being the same.

I think I still have a problem though because any deletion will cause me problems unless I completely rebuild my data file with each export (I was hoping I could just update it whenever I export).

Another question I have is why there is a tree export and an object export? Aren't these represented the same way internally? Isn't a tree an object? So if I have plants, those are objects I suppose. But so is a building. Why is a tree different?

Thanks in advance. I'm going to assume that I can count on the order being consistent for now so I can try to crank out an exporter. I may run into other issues that I haven't considered yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:41 am 
Programmierdochfix

The order of trees and objects should always stay the same. New trees should be added at the end. But as you already mentioned, if you remove one tree/object you will have a problem. That's why I used GUIDs. Internally I don't have such a mapping, so I cannot easily give you another method to retrieve an integer ID.

I think, the only solution to avoid this problem is to have a mapping between GUIDs and IDs as you described it.

Currently objects and trees are quite the same. But that might change in future versions. Lets take a look of one year in the future :) There might be an animation triggering system for static objects and some sort of season handling for the trees....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:36 pm 

Theres nothing quite like planning ahead for potential features :)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]