PnP TerrainCreator - Forum

The PnP TerrainCreator Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: 3d Objects Manager PlugIn sdk part
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:37 pm 

Is it in 3d Objects Manager PlugIn sdk part that you could make for example CS mesh reader so pnpTC could read other objects than .x ?

/Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:35 pm 
Programmierdochfix

Yes that's correct.

The object manager has two responsibilities:

1. Read all available objects from a given data source. In the easiest (and normal) way, this is the directory/file structure as it is used by the .x object manager.

2. It has to render those objects in a DirectX9 environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:38 am 

The only thing I need to do different against your tutorial is the function that load the file, everything else can I use?

This function in 3dobject.
Code:
bool C3DObject::Load(IDirect3DDevice9* pD3DDevice)

But, I don't know much about DX, I know more about OpenGL...
I think I should use a function that put information in memory that already been read instead of an dx funtion that read and put it in right place directly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:25 am 
Programmierdochfix

Basically yes.
But for rendering the DirectX mesh data object is used. In the tutorial this mesh object loads itself from the .x file. For other file formats you'll have to fill it manually. If you're not familiar with DX this might not be so easy.

Does CS use its own file format or do you want to read common file formats like .obj or .3ds? PlugIns to read .obj and .3ds are planned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:58 am 

Ralf wrote:
Does CS use its own file format or do you want to read common file formats like .obj or .3ds? PlugIns to read .obj and .3ds are planned.

CS used .xml format for their objects. I think I mailed you yesterday with a big world file that contain a mesh file.
It's rather simple to understand.
This because other fileformat can't store all that datainformation CS own format use like how objects should act in game.

Like I wrote in that mail, these mesh could be in head world file or in it's own library file.

/Tobias

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:16 am 
Programmierdochfix

Uups, you're right. I wasn't thinking about your eMail as I answered the post, sorry.

You told me, you're currently in planning phase of your project. What do you thing about the following suggestion: I will add an .obj object manager within the next few weeks, which either has code to fill the DX mesh object or uses a different rendering method (don't know yet, which way I'll go). Based on that object manager PlugIn it will be very easy to add an object manager for CS. Either you or me can do this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:08 pm 

That sounds like a great idea.

We can talk about how to do when you get there.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]